By Yulia Tulegenova
As the year 2023 comes to an end, it is time to look ahead and see what the next year has in store for cinema lovers. 2024 promises to be a rich and diverse year for film, with a plethora of titles that will appeal to every taste and mood. Whether you are looking for escapism, inspiration, challenge, or entertainment, there is a film for you in 2024.
One of the most exciting trends of 2024 is the resurgence of original and visionary filmmaking, by directors who are not afraid to experiment with form, style, and genre. From the steampunk-futurist drama Poor Things by Yorgos Lanthimos, to the Holocaust psycho-horror The Zone of Interest by Jonathan Glazer, to the metaphysical love story All of Us Strangers by Andrew Haigh, these films are not only adaptations of novels, but also reinterpretations of them, creating new and unique cinematic experiences.
Another trend of 2024 is the return of some of the most acclaimed and influential filmmakers of our time, who are bringing their distinctive visions and voices to the big screen. From Martin Scorsese’s macabre western Killers of the Flower Moon, to Ridley Scott’s epic biopic Kitbag, to Steven Spielberg’s musical remake West Side Story, to Jane Campion’s western drama The Power of the Dog, to Joel Coen’s black-and-white Shakespeare adaptation The Tragedy of Macbeth, these films are not only masterclasses in filmmaking, but also reflections of the current state of the world and the human condition.
Another trend of 2024 is the continuation and expansion of some of the most popular and successful franchises and genres of the past decade, which are offering new and exciting stories and characters to the audiences. From the sci-fi epic Dune: Part Two, to the comic book sequel Joker 2, to the family adventure Paddington 3, to the live-action remake The Little Mermaid, to the animated sequel Sing 2, these films are not only crowd-pleasers, but also showcases of the latest technological and artistic innovations in cinema.
Of course, 2024 is not only about trends, but also about surprises, discoveries, and diversity. There are many films that will challenge, inspire, and delight the viewers, from different countries and cultures, from different genres and styles, from different perspectives and backgrounds. Some of the films that are worth mentioning are:
- The Hand of God, a semi-autobiographical drama by Paolo Sorrentino, about a young boy who finds his calling in cinema after a tragic event in his family.
- The Worst Person in the World, a romantic comedy by Joachim Trier, about a woman who struggles to find her place and identity in the modern world.
- The French Dispatch, a whimsical anthology by Wes Anderson, about a fictional magazine and its eccentric staff and stories.
- The Lost Daughter, a psychological thriller by Maggie Gyllenhaal, about a woman who becomes obsessed with another woman and her daughter during a vacation.
- The Matrix Resurrections, a sci-fi action by Lana Wachowski, about the return of Neo and Trinity to the virtual reality of the Matrix.
- Spider-Man: No Way Home, a superhero adventure by Jon Watts, about the multiverse collision of different Spider-Man incarnations.
These are just some of the films that will define 2024, a year that will offer a feast for the eyes, the ears, and the mind. Whether you are a cinephile, a casual viewer, or somewhere in between, there is a film for you in 2024. So get ready, grab your popcorn, and enjoy the show.